The North Providence Library is a member of Ocean State Libraries.
- To obtain a Library card, identification with photo ID and current mailing address is required.
- Children under the age of 14 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian with proper ID in order to register for a card.
- A Patron must bring their own library card in order to check out material and to use the library’s computers.
- Library cards are non-transferrable.
- Replacement cost for a card is $1.
- Patrons are responsible for all material checked out to their library card.
You can also register for a library card online by going to the online catalog (http://catalog.oslri.net) You will be able to register on-online as a patron of our library if you are a RI resident. You will have limited privileges. Holds placed with this card are active for 30 days. You must show a valid Rhode Island ID and proof of address at your library within 30 days to get a permanent card or this temporary patron record will be deleted.
- Books – All books, with the exception of reference books, circulate for a three week loan period.
- Magazines – Back issues of magazines circulate for a three week period. The most recent issue of the magazine does not circulate. No more than 3 of the same magazine title can go out on one card.
- Playaways/Music CD’s/Audio Books – These circulate for a three week period. There is a limit of no more than 6 per library card.
- DVDs/Videos – DVDs/Videos loaned out for a 7 day period are not renewable. No more than 6 per card. Non-fiction DVDs/Videos circulate for 21 days are not renewable. North Providence videos may be renewed once if there are no holds. There are overdue fines of $2.00 per day on blu-rays and $.50 per day on DVDs. These items cannot be placed in the book drop.
- Renewals – An item can be renewed for a 3 week period by either bringing it to the library or calling the renewal numbers 401-736-0965 or toll free 1-800-359-3090 before the due date. If the item is on hold for another patron or it has been renewed once already, then it can not be renewed a second time.
Overdue fines for most library material are .20 per day per item. Overdue fines of $2.00 per day on blu-rays and $.50 per day on DVDs. Fines of $5.00 or more will automatically revoke library privileges. If paying for fines by check and your check is returned, a $25.00 service charge plus the original fine will be charged.
Pay your Fines Online
You can now pay your fines online. Go to the online catalog (http://catalog.oslri.net) and click on the “My Library Account” link. Once you enter your name and library card number, you will see the option “pay online” if you owe more than $1.01 in fines or lost materials.
- The library accepts MasterCard, Visa and Discover cards. The system does not currently support PayPal.
- There is no additional fee when paying fines online
- The minimum payment amount is $1.01. Once you’re in My Library Account, all fines are pre-selected. If you do not wish to pay all of the fines, you can uncheck the fines you do not want to pay at this time and press the re-calculate button to pay only the checked, selected fines. Each fine must be paid in full – you cannot pay a partial amount on a selected fine.
- If you would like a receipt, include an email address with the credit card information you submit and a receipt will be sent to that address. A payment receipt also displays online and may be printed.