- The Library is Handicap accessible
- Playaways - A Playaway is a self-playing digital audio book that comes pre-loaded on a small storage device. Each Playaway can hold 80 hours of play time. The Playaway devices circulate like audio books. A title can be checked out, renewed, and reserved. You can check our catalog to see what titles we own by doing a keyword or subject search for “Playaway” or a call number search for “Playaway”.
- Audio Books, both fiction and non-fiction, are available for download from RI E-Zone.
- Hearing Amplifying Devices - Hearing loss can make communicating and understanding a frustrating experience for both the speaker and the listener.
- Large Print Books – Large print books use an enlarged typeface, making the text easier to read. The Library’s large book collection is located on the second floor next to the elevator.
Talking Books Plus, the Rhode Island Regional Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped, provides free library service to anyone in Rhode Island who is unable to read standard print because of a visual or physical handicap. As part of the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped (NLS), Talking Books Plus lends reading materials and specially designed equipment free of charge. Books and magazines recorded on cassettes are mailed postage free through the U.S. Postal Service to individuals qualifying for this service. Talking Books Plus also connects readers with materials in other formats, such as:
- Braille materials, through the Perkins School for the Blind
- Descriptive videos, through the Lincoln Public Library
- Large Print Books available through your local Public Library
If you are a Rhode Island resident and wish to apply for service from Talking Books Plus, print out and mail the application on their web site (http://www.olis.ri.gov/tbp/applicforms.php). Please check the eligibility criteria first.
Talking Books Plus (National Library Service for the Blind & Physically Handicapped)
One Capitol Hill
Providence, RI 02908-5803
Phone: 401-574-9310 TTY 711
Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday – Friday
Disability Resources in Rhode island (http://www.olis.ri.gov/tbp/disablres.php)
- This U.S. government site connects users to information about disability related programs, services, laws and benefits at the federal, state and local levels.
Information and Technical Assistance on the Americans with Disabilities Act (http://www.ada.gov/)